Google
 
Web thoughts-denzuko1.blogspot.com

My Charting Blog

It is interesting that I start off this Blog when the Singapore Stock Market is heading south. However, this makes it more interesting for me to write on as the market turned volatile. My interest is Technical Analysis, TA for short. I love to look at charts and predicting where they are heading. This blog is or me to record my thoughts on the market. The articles on this blog are based solely on my personal opinion on the charts that I read and readers should not take it as absolute.

11/29/2009

My thought on Dubai World .....

I read a thread from a Forumer on Friday about a Dubai World defaulting its debt. I found it quite interesting. As far as I know, Dubai has been engaged with mega projects dealing with building of islands, the most luxury hotel in the world, ski resort in a desert, etc. It is situated in an oil producing country, money should not be a matter. Anyway, I did not care much about the news, that is until my friend text me a message " How will Dubai affect the market?"

To be frank, I don 't really care about news, because I suck in Fundamental, the only thing I am interested in is chart. Nevertheless, it led me thinking who would be those affected and targets for shorts.

Dubai has nothing except Oil, it uses the revenue from Oil to build mega structures to entice the rich to invest. Most of these mega structures are for luxury and cannot be afforded by common man. Imagine that they build islands just to build houses where you can park luxury boats in your back yard. The city also uses fossil fuel to desarinize water from the sea, a process which I believe is very unproductive. The richest person in the city actually has a car with body made of gold, not painted, but made. They even have a ski resort in the middle of the desert. To me what ever they did, it is pure waste of resources. Most probably money came so easily that they don't even bother to think about saving for a rainy day.

With such a default from Dubai World, 2 main groups of industries are affected, banks and contructions. But banks will come first. I believe the loans with American and European banks. The issue with banks is that they are all linked. If one fall, all others will join in like a domino.

With such defaults, the contructions will also come to a halt to cut cost. So those companies will also be taken into consideration for shorts. With the goes the suppliers for the machineries and employments.

Outside Emirates, those countries that depend on Middle Eastern tour will also be affected, however, this will be a longer term effect and might even be smaller. But certainly Singapore's neighbour Malaysia will not be spared. As far as I know, other than attracting tourist from the Emirates, they are also supplying Engineers to help the growth of Dubai. My cousine was once working in Dubai on Management Information Systems (MIS).

Probably those less affected or having the effect come later would be consumers, hotels, manufacturings. I doubt that they have a lot of export to Dubai unless it is a luxurious item (may be Rolex). Anyway, they are likely to be secondary parties in the event.

So which market would be affected tomorrow with the sell down (if it happens)? My guess are the banks. Probably the good news that might prevent this is that the Central Bank of the Emirates has already came out to provide support to the affected banks.

But no matter what, it is not good for Shortist in either way, if it goes down, it will gap and thus it will be too late for entry, if the issue is resolved to some extend, the market might even go up, which puts the shortist on the wrong side of the market.

6 Comments:

Blogger Princess said...

for your knowleadge, Dubai is not an oil producing country.

2:13 AM  
Blogger denzuko1 said...

Dear Princess,
Thanks for pointing out the mistake on my post, and for all these I thought I was simply writing for myself, I didn't know that my posts are read, left alone giving me feedback.

Yes, Dubai most probably does not produce oil, it is one of the 7 states in Arab Emirates and it is the Emirates that produces oil. Dubai depends a lot on Abu Dhabi for its finance.

Thanks for pointing it out.

11:52 PM  
Blogger Princess said...

I like reading.. you write more so i can read more.. haha.. I am working in Dubai.. I am working Nakheel.. yeah.. Dubai world's subsidiary..

12:05 AM  
Blogger denzuko1 said...

To be honest, I am not very familiar with Dubai myself. The closest I got to Dubai was a 747refueling at Abu Dhabi, in 1980.

I am not really sure you like what I am writing, because most of the things I write about are charts here. Anyway, I am really happy knowing someone reads my blog.

So it must be worrisome for a while there knowing the potential default to Creditors there?

10:47 PM  
Blogger Princess said...

haha... most of the creditors know me very well.. because I am handling their payment..

Can I ask you something? Do you is good to trensfer money (dirham)back to Malaysia or Singapore?

Do you think Singapore dollar will depreciate in the near future?

10:57 PM  
Blogger denzuko1 said...

I am not sure what you mean by transfer. Is it like bank transfer that kind of stuff? Or chart read on forex?

May be you can send me a mail through denzuko1@yahoo.com. I am not from the finance sector.

My personal opinion on SGD? It is somewhere in the middle between AUD, NZD and USD at the moment. It is likely to rise against AUD, NZD while down against USD.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home